Magaly’s Trim Picadillo (S, FP and E)
– 3 lbs Ground Beef or Turkey (96-99% lean) or the Hack Your Ground Beef tip!
– 6 large Roma Tomatoes
– 1/2 cup of Water
– 1/4 of a medium Onion
– 1/4 of a small Jalapeno or a whole one. (Depending on how hot you want it.)
– 1/3 cup of frozen Carrots and Peas
– 2 whole Bay Leaves or 1/4 teaspoon crushed
– 4 or 5 whole Cilantro Stems (with leaves attached) or 1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
– 2 teaspoons of Chili Powder (or more to taste)
– 1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder (or more to taste)
– 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder (or more to taste)
– Salt and Pepper
1. Brown, drain and season the ground meat in a saucepan.
2. In the blender, add tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, and water. Blend for a minute or two until it looks like a sauce.
3. Combine the sauce, cooked meat, and the frozen carrots and peas. Add the whole bay leaves and whole cilantro stems in while cooking (and then remove them before serving). OR, stir in the crushed bay leaves and chopped cilantro.
4. Simmer covered for about 15-20 minutes on low. Stir about half way through. If you rather use the crock-pot, you can cook for 4 to 5 hours on high, stirring after about 2 or 3 hours.
Notice that I don’t add any fat to my Trim Picadillo because I like to add my additional fats depending on the fuel I’m having. This is really versatile for me. I make it on the weekend and I have enough for my own lunches. If you have a big family you can double the recipe.
S-version… You can add steamed cauli rice. Add a side salad if you like.
E-version… Be sure your meat is at least 96% lean. (Or you can cook the higher fat meat to crumbles and rinse the crumbles well under hot water and then drain.) You can add diced sweet potatoes when adding the frozen carrots and peas. Or, you can add brown rice to complete your E meal.
FP-version… Use less ground meat in your dish. In FP we use a smaller amount of lean meat (approximately 3 to 4 ounces per portion). Be sure your meat is at least 96% lean. (Or you can cook the higher fat meat to crumbles and rinse the crumbles well under hot water and then drain.) Add cauli rice and a side salad. Make sure you use low-fat dressing.